SACRED VALLEY & SHORT INCA TRAIL TO MACHU PICCHU
DAY 1: SACRED VALLEY OF THE INCAS (Pisac + Moray + Salt mines + Ollantaytambo)
We will pick you up at your hotel at 7:30am, with our private van and head towards the Sacred Valley of the Incas, taking the direct route to Pisac. We drive first to the Ccochahuasi Animal Sanctuary, which has a variety of Peruvian animals including Peruvian Pumas, and great Condors, the national bird of Peru, and then you are off to the mirador of Taray to enjoy a classic view of the Urubamba valley with crops dressing the mountains like a carpet. Onward, we drive to the archaeological site of Pisac, where you can see the biggest Inca cemetery with more than 2,000 tombs. There, we can admire the incredible farming terraces carved into the mountain, explore the Inca tunnel and the religious area of this important citadel. Here, we will spend about 1.5 hours, exploring the Inca city. Then, we head back to the colorful market of Pisac, spend some time visiting it and then drive to Urubamba for lunch.
With timeless charm, we visit the archeological site of Moray also known as “The Greenhouses of the Incas” an evolutionary bowl of ecological difference. Levels of terraces are carved into a huge bowl, which was excavated by the Incas. The terraces have varied microclimates depending on how deep into the bowl. They are thought to have been used by the Incas to discover the optimal growing conditions for their crops.
Expanding on our journey to the colonial town of Maras, ascending our hike downhill to the pre-Inca salt mine. Thousands of saltpans have been used for salt extraction since before Inca times. A hot spring at the top of the valley discharges a small stream of heavily salt laden water, which is diverted into saltpans and evaporated to produce a salt that is used for human and animal consumption. Finally, we drive to Ollantaytambo, having time to explore the age old and bustling Inca village and the massive Inca Ruins, with a tour provided by our guide. Here we spend the night at your hotel in Ollantaytambo, ready to start the Inca Trail the next day.
- Hotel in Ollantaytambo: Tunupa lodge, Iskay Hotel depending on availability
DAY 2: OLLANTAYTAMBO – km104 – WIÑAYHUAYNA – SUN GATE – MACHU PICCHU
With a compacted 2 days of excitement ahead, we pick you up from your hotel by 5:30am, and walk to the train station to catch the 6:10am Expedition Train. A two hour free flowing Expedition train ride to 104 kms (2,100m/6,927ft) will take us to the beginning our trek, where we cruise past the first checkpoint with ease. Afterwards we initiate a moderate climb for three hours to the chiseled remnants and remote archaeological site of Wiñayhuana. (2,650m/8747ft). As we view out with an open mind and heart, we embrace the spectacular plunging views of the Urubamba Canyon, and the ethnic wonder of ancient Inca sites, we make our connection into the traditional four day Inca Trail. After being at one with this beautiful sight, we continue onward towards the Sun Gate (2,730mts/9,007ft). Following the ancient remote footpath, we grasp onto our first spectacular view of Machu Picchu in all its brilliance and majestic monumentality. As we move closer to the Citadel of Machu Picchu, you will feel the reasoning of her energetic vibration. Then we take our bus to Aguas Calientes, where we spend the night in our hotel.
- Meals: Box Lunch & Dinner.
- Accommodation: Intipunku Machu Picchu (depending on availability)
- Difficulty: Moderate.
DAY 3: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
Bursting with excitement on your final surreal day, we take the first bus to Machu Picchu archeological site, making sure we tour every nook and cranny of this New 7 Wonder of the World and UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site. The Citadel of the Incas, Machu Picchu, what an unforgettable experience. Your guide will expertly direct you through the energetic ruins and its diverse main streets. Then on your own, you can wander around the town squares of the world’s spiritual center of esoteric wisdom, as well as climb the intricately carved stairways made of stone. Alternatively, you can stay still and find the peace within as you sit in the pure delight of the moment. Finally, climb Huayna Picchu to appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu and the valleys below.
If you wish to indulge in a few of the following activities on your own you can (not included in the price):
- Climb Huayna Picchu – appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu from there. (additional fee)
- Climb Machu Picchu Mountain – appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu from there. (additional fee)
- You will be given some time to walk to the Sun Gate or Inti Punku. ( No additional fee)
- Other optional activities in Aguas Calientes include a visit to the new local museum or to the hot springs. (entrance fee)
When you are ready, you will descend to Aguas Calientes, have a leisurely lunch on your own, and later on board the Expedition train at 4:22pm for the return trip to Cusco stopping at the Ollantaytambo Station, where you will catch our private van back to Cusco arriving at about 8:30pm
- Meals: breakfast
***Information about trains (ONLY way back):
- 1.- Our package includes the 16:22 expeditions train for the way from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo, then we drive you back to Cusco in our van, arriving by 20h.
- a.- Other train schedules like 14:55 (Expedition train) can be organized as well, as long you request this in advance (at least 15 days before) for Free.
- b.- Other train schedule like 13:37 (Vistadome Train) can be organized as well but it will cost US$30 extra per person, this train runs from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo, then we drive you back to Cusco in our van, arriving by 17:20h (Request in advance.)
- 2.- If you are UPGRADING to Vistadome Train (Only way back), then we will purchase the 16:43 train which runs from Aguas Calientes to Cusco
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Sacred Valley Tour
- Entrances to the Inca cities and archeological sites
- Professional guide for three days.
- Expedition train from Ollantaytambo to KM 104 and from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- Two nights hotel accommodation with private room, bathroom and breakfast included.
- Meals a indicated on the itinerary
- Bus tickets from Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu -Aguas Calientes.
- Personal assistance.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
- Hotel – optional upgrades
- Huayna Picchu Tickets:$75 USD per person
- Machu Picchu Mountain:$75 USD per person
- Upgrade to Vistadome:$57 USD per person (Return only Aguas Calientes to Poroy (Cusco) at 4:43pm)
- Tips for your guide
ADDED VALUES FOR FREE
- Transfer from the airport to hotel: (Cusco Hotel only)
- SMALL GROUPS: up to 8 hikers
- EARLY TRAIN: for the return to Cusco from Aguas Caliente
Price & Availability
***The Sacred Valley & Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu tour is available on any date that its best for you (except February when it is closed for maintenance). This trek still takes you into Machu Picchu by walking through the SUN GATE, you will get to explore some amazing Inca ruins along the way like Wiñaywayna Inca city
***The fantastic tour with Inca trail included is available on any date that will suit you – Join in with our group and get the best deals.
$577 USD per person without hotels
$647 USD per person with 2 nights hotels
***Private service is available for $100 USD more per person.
***All entrance fees are included and we operate our tours in small groups averaging 5 persons with a maximum of 8!
- 18 to 25 years old:$30 USD. Information required on student card: name of university, student name, photo of student, expiration date etc. A copy of the card at booking is required & government approval for discount.
- Under 18 years old:$30 USD. Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Under 11 years old:$40 USD. Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Huayna Picchu Mountain:$75 USD per person
- Machu Picchu Mountain:$70 USD per person
- Upgrade Hotel in Aguas Calientes:$40 USD to 3*** (Can upgrade to 4 or 5 star also)
- Upgrade Hotel in Ollantaytambo:$55 USD to 3*** (Can upgrade to 4 or 5 star also)
- Upgrade Hotel – 3 star:$45 USD. (Can upgrade to 4 or 5 star also)
- Single Supplement:$30 USD 2* and $45 USD 3* for single travelers
WHY CHOOSE SAM TRAVEL
SAM (initials of Saul Alvarez Montalvo) Travel Peru is a family owned travel agency and direct local tour operator based in Cusco with personal experience over many years of trekking. SAM Travel Peru is a 1oo% Cusquenian Company without any shareholders.
My dream as the owner was to create small personalized tours & treks strictly and only operated by local professional staff catering in PERSONALIZED and HIGH QUALITY SERVICE.
We take pride in having a reputation as being a RESPONSIBLE & SUSTAINABLE tour operator. My staff are my extended family. I ensure they are supported financially by paying them a good wage. I am proud of my team without them I couldn’t give the best service and lifetime experiences to our clients.
In an effort to provide a more personalised service to our passengers, we in SAM Travel Peru have a policy that our groups will not exceed 8 people. This fact alone sets us apart from other companies that operate departures with bigger groups.
OUR TOP TOUR GUIDES FOR THE SACRED VALLEY & SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU PACKAGE
I am very proud of my guides! Highly professional, speaking in fluent English and very knowledgeable. Passionate for the Inca heritage/ history, dedicated to a steady personal development and learning to ensure that you receive accurate and recognised theories about the Inca Andean culture. Fun loving, great sportsmen and well educated some having a degree in Archaeology, Botany, History or Anthropology. Others are great entertainers and the best “Salsa Dancers” on this side of Machu Picchu.
OUR SOCIAL PROJECTS
SAM Travel Peru has always believed that we should “give back” to the communities we pass through on our treks. Therefore, as part of our commitment in responsible tourism, we socially support and employee from these communities.
SAM Travel Peru is proud to be able to support these beautiful people, not only in hiring them for work but to bring things back to grassroots, to share in their home and families. This makes us happy to have a holistic approach with our highland employees and their families!
A beautiful reflection of our attitude in everything we do, is that we wish to make life richer and more meaningful for all involved.
Please read carefully the following information; it will help you answer all of your questions about our services and Sacred Valley & Short Inca trail Machu Picchu Package
WELCOME TO CUSCO
You will be welcomed at Cusco airport and taken to your hotel, please ensure that you inform us of your full flight details at least 14 days prior to your trek. Look out for our representative holding an orange board SAM Travel Peru at the arrival terminal. It can be done on any date that is best suited to you!
It will take place the night before the trekking departure at 6pm in our office which is located at Calle Santa Teresa Nº383 ; 303 (second floor), we are next to SUBWAY restaurant.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE:
Of course! During the Sacred Valley & Short Inca trail to Machu PicchuPackage your main luggage can be store at our office or at your hotel, both are for free. Please don´t pack anything you will need for your hike.
HOW TO BOOK
Please be ready with the following information (FROM EACH PARTICIPANT in your group). We cannot purchase an Inca trail permit, entrance to Machu Picchu or the train without the following information:
- Personal information (your full name, exactly as on your passport):
- Passport number
- D.OB. (dd / mm / yyyy)
SECOND, we require a deposit of US$200.00 per person in order to purchase a your Inca Trail permit, entrance to Machu Picchu and train ticket. You can make you deposit by clicking on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on the top of our home page, or you can click on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on our booking page or click here on the payment method of your choice, either VISA or PAYPAL.
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
It would be greatly appreciated if you pay in cash at our office (US dollars or Peruvian soles) here in Cusco. We have many cash machines in the historical center to withdraw money. You can also pay by VISA or PAYPAL online but you will have to pay a 5.5% service charge, charged by VISA and PAYPAL. To pay your balance through PAYPAL, you need to log into your PAYPAL account using our email address of firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
- According to Peruvian Law you must be under 18 years of age at the time of your trek, tour, or visit to Machu Picchu (students 18 & above need student cards). For example if you book a trek at the age of 17 but you turn 18 before you do your trek, you do not qualify for a student discount.
- All students from 11 to 17 years, the discount is $30.
- For children from the age of 2 to 11 the discount is $40.
- For children from the age of 0 to 2 are free.
- All students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of their booking to get the student discount.
- Send us a copy at email@example.com
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT?
Unfortunately the answer is “No”. Once the tickets have been bought the government does not allow any changes, so we can’t change any departure date after the tickets has been bought. Tickets are also not transferable nor refundable.
*** If you cancel your Sacred Valley & Short Inca trail to Machu Picchu, the deposit is not refundable at all!
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT
Yes for sure!You have to bring your original passport and it is very important that it is the same passport number you sent to us to book your entrance to Machu Picchu, train ticket, other entrances and reservations. The rangers will check when you enter Machu Picchu. The train company will also check your passport before allowing you to board the train.
In case you are renewing your passport or changing your name, go ahead and send us your old passport information to secure your permit, and we can change it when you get your new passport number or updated your name for a fee of $25 per person. We must have a copy of your old and new passport to make the change. Before you change your passport keep a copy of your old one.
If you do not wish to pay this fee you will need to bring both passports to Peru with you. You can enter Peru with your new passport but you will need to show both passports, old and new to be to enter into Machu Picchu or the train. If you do not have both you will not be allowed to enter into Machu Picchu or get on the train. They are very strict about this here!!
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE IN THE SACRED VALLEY & SHORT INCA TRAIL TO MACHU PICCHU
First I would say that the weather is very unpredictable and it’s difficult to foresee. We recommend you to bring a warm jacket for early morning and rain poncho in case of a rain shower.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it’s of great significance for the people who will take care of you during the tour. It inspires excellent service and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many SAM Travel Peru destinations. Of course you are free to tip more or less as you feel, depending on your perception of the quality and the length of your tour. Remember, a tip is not compulsory and should only be given when you receive excellent service.
ARE YOU SUSTAINABLE?
Yes, we are a local sustainable & responsible tourism operator for that we incorporate the universal principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the local communities respecting their culture and religion. With this in mind, we have trained all our staff to know, understand and respect the local places and it´s people.
The Sacred Valley & Short Inca trail to Machu Picchu Package does not include extra porter, so, you will need to carry all your thing, please try to pack as light as possible which is the key to enjoy this amazing trek.
What you have to take with you for the “Sacred Valley & Short Inca trail Machu Picchu”
- Original Passport (it has to be the same you have used for booking your trek)
- Good daypack (the smaller, the better)
- Water storage: 2-3 litre Camelbaks are encouraged.
- Comfortable hiking boots with ankle support
- Toilet Paper
- 2 t-shirts
- 1 hiking pants at least
- Hiking socks
- Polar or sweater
- Jacket if cold season
- Waterproof gloves – rainy season
- Large plastic bags will be provided at the office — Please ask for them.
- Face moisturizer
- Hand Sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Toothbrush and paste
- Personal medications
- Sun Hat
- Wool Hat if cold season
- Rain gear – rainy season
- Snacks like chocolate bars, cereal bars or any dry fruit
- Rain plastic poncho (provided by SAM)
- Extra Money for Souvenirs, Drinks & Tips