Day 1: Arrival to Cusco, City Tour & Archaeological Ruins
Upon your arrival to Cusco, we will pick you up at the airport to transport you to your hotel. The morning is free time to rest in your hotel to acclimate.
In the afternoon, we will pick you up from your hotel and proceed to visit the Imperial City. It is a living example of the mix of Andean and Spanish culture. We start the tour at the Convent of Santo Domingo built over the Koricancha, which was the Ancient Inca Palace and the main worship center of the Sun God. You are given plenty of time to enjoy these beautiful sights. From there, we visit the archaeological site of Sacsayhuaman, with its impressive Inca architecture, which dominates the city. Finally, we explore the archaeological sites of Q’enqo, Pucapucara and Tambomachay, which are located in the northeast section of the city. You will return to your hotel in Cusco in the early evening.
- Accommodations: Maytaq Wasin or Casa Andina Classic 3***
- Accommodations Hotel Costa del Sol Ramada, Casa Andina Private Collection & Novotel 4***
- Meals: Breakfast
Day 2: Sacred Valley (Pisac, Ollantaytambo)
We will pick you up at your hotel at 7am, with our private van and drive towards the Sacred Valley of the Incas, taking the direct route to Pisac. We stop at Ccochahuasi Animal Sanctuary to see the native animals like the Condors, Llamas, Alpacas and Pumas. After this, we drive for 10 minutes up to the mirador of Taray to have a classic view of the Urubamba valley with crops dressing the mountains like a carpet. Onward, we drive to the archaeological site of Pisac, where you can see the biggest Inca cemetery with more than 2,000 tombs. There we can admire the incredible farming terraces carved into the mountain, explore the Inca tunnel and the religious area of this important citadel. Here, we will spend more than 2 hours exploring this Inca city.
Then, we head back to the colorful market of Pisac, spend some time visiting it and then drive to Urubamba for lunch and on to the Pre-Inca Salt Mines and then to the archeological site of Moray. After a time to visit the Salt Mines and Moray, we finish our tour in Ollantaytambo. We explore the archeological site for 1.5 hours and admire the water fountains, the Sun Temple, the Incahuatana and the impressive storehouses. After the tour, you will take the Expedition train(7pm) to Aguas Caliente.
- Accommodations:La Cabaña Hotel or Santuario Hotel 3*
- Accommodations: El Mapi 4* or Tierra Viva Machupicchu (superior room) 4*
- Meal: Breakfast & Lunch
Day 3: Machu Picchu & Train back to Cusco
Breakfast at the hotel we take the first bus to Machu Picchu citadel, and tour every nook and cranny of this New 7 Wonder of the World and UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site: an unforgettable experience. Your guide will give you a 2 hour guided tour and expertly direct you throughout the astounding ruins and its main streets. You can then wander around the town squares as well as climb the intricately carved stairways made of stone. Machu Picchu is considered as the world’s spiritual center by esoteric wisdom. Once the guided tour is over, you will have some free time to explore the site on your own, to relax, or to meditate.
Extra Possible Activities:
- Climb up Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain; appreciate the beauty & magnificence of Machu Picchu.
- You will be given some extra time to walk to the Sun Gate or Inti Punku.
The optional activities in Aguas Calientes include a visit to the new local museum or the hot springs.
Train to Cusco: You will descend to Aguas Calientes, have lunch, and later on board the 4:43pm Vistadome train for the return trip to Cusco train station on the Vistadome train and then, we will transfer you to your hotel arriving around 8pm.
- Accommodations: Maytaq Wasin or Casa Andina Classic 3***
- Accommodations: Hotel Costa del Sol Ramada, Casa Andina Private Collection & Novotel 4***
- Meals: Breakfast, Light Meal on Train
Day 4: Cusco to Puno by Andean Explorer Train
Breakfast at your hotel; you will be picked up at 10am from your hotel in Cusco and transferred to the train station. There, you will board the most luxurious train to Puno, the Belmond Andean Train.
The Belmond Andean Explorer train features an open-air observatory car, allowing you to take in the majestic views while enjoying the typical music and dances of the Peruvian Highlands. During your trip, you will have the chance to take panoramic pictures of some of the quaint essential Andean landscapes.
During the trip, lunch, & breakfast offers the finest in gourmet food. The quality of our personalized service is guaranteed. You will sleep in your own private cabin as you travel to Puno arriving at around 7am.
Upon arrival, reception and transfer to your Puno Hotel.
- Accommodations: Cabin overnight on the train
- Meals: Breakfast & Lunch on train
Day 5: Full Day to Lake Titicaca (Uros Floating Islands & Taquile)
You will have a 6:00 am breakfast on the train and be transferred to the Port of Puno for your tour at 8:30am. Our first stop will be Uros Floating Islands. The Uros are natives, who live on these man-made islands created from Totora reeds grown on Lake Titicaca. Their houses are built on top while the cooking is done outside the homes to avoid fires. After spending time at the Island of Uros, you will proceed to the Island of Taquile. Here, you will notice that the locals speak Aymara instead of the predominant Quechua. The Island of Taquile was once a part of the Inca Empire. The influence can be seen in the buildings these people create. Once you arrive on the island, you will get a briefing, traditional dances, artisanal craft displays and lunch. In the afternoon, the boat will take you back to Puno. From the port of Puno, you will be transfer to your hotel.
- Accommodations: Casa Andina Classic Puno 3*
- Accommodations: Casa Andina Premium Puno and Sonesta Hotel Puno 4*
- Meals: Breakfast
Day 6: DEPARTURE FROM PUNO
After having breakfast at the hotel, enjoy your remaining time in Puno. Then, in the late morning or afternoon we will drop you off at the airport to take your plane back to Lima.
- Meal: Breakfast
- All transfers
- Pick up at hotel for tours
- Professional English speaking guide
- Private transportation to visit all Inca Archeological sites for tours
- Expedition train Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
- Vistadome Train from Aguas Calientes to Poroy
- One way trip Cusco to Puno Belmond Andean Train
- Round trip bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- 4 night’s accommodation at 3 star hotels or 4 star hotel depending on your choice
- 1 night accommodation on the Belmond Andean train with your own private cabin.
- 4 breakfasts in your hotel and train (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Private guided Tours of Cusco, Sacred Valley, & Moray & Salt Mines
- All entrances to archeological sites & others
- Private guided tour in Machu Picchu
- Group guided tour of the Uros Floating Islands & Taquile as a part of your train service
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu
- Water for tours
- International airfares
- Domestic flights Lima-Cusco-Lima
- Single supplement -$50 USD (for solo travelers)
- Meals where not otherwise stated
- Optional: Hot Springs in Aguas Calientes –10 soles per person
- Optional: Huayna Picchu Mountain – $75 USD per person
- Optional: Machu Picchu Mountain – $75 USD per person
Our 6 day tour of Cusco, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu & Lake Titicaca can only be booked to start on a Saturday because the Belmond Andean Luxury train only runs on Tuesday and we must have 2 persons minimum for the tour
$687 USD per person without hotels (train is separate additional price depending on cabin choice)
$887 USD per person with 3* hotels (train is separate additional price depending on cabin choice)
$1,087 USD per person with 4* hotels (train is separate additional price depending on cabin choice)
*** With 4* hotels a deposit of $525 USD is required because in Peru all hotels and train have to be paid for 30 days in advance.
TRAIN PRICES ANDEAN EXPLORER:
$730 USD per person: 2 Twin Beds Cabins (double occupany)
$825 USD per person: 1 Junior Double Bed Cabins (double occupany)
$915 USD per person: 1 Deluxe Double Bed Cabins (double occupany)
***Other option 1 day Peru Rail Titicaca Luxury Day Train Cusco to Puno $260 USD per person. (will need to add an extra night hotel in Puno)
- 18 to 25 years old:$30 USD. Information required on student card: name of university, student name, photo of student, expiration date etc. A copy of the card at booking is required & government approval for discount.
- Under 18 years old:$30 USD. Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Under 11 years old:$40 USD. Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Huayna Picchu Mountain:$75 USD
- Machu Picchu Mountain:$75 USD
- Single supplement:$50 USD per night 3*(for solo travellers with single room)
- Single supplement:$100 USD per night 4*(for solo travellers with single room)
- Upgrade to 5 star hotels upon request
WHY CHOOSE SAM TRAVEL
SAM Travel Peru is a family owned travel agency and a local tour operator based in Cusco with personal experience over many years of trekking. SAM Travel Peru is a 1oo% Cusquenian Company without any shareholders.
Our dream as a locally based company is to create small personalized tours & treks strictly and only operated by local professional staff catering in PERSONALIZED and HIGH QUALITY SERVICE.
We take pride in having a reputation as being a RESPONSIBLE & SUSTAINABLE tour operator. Our staff are our extended family. We ensure they are supported financially by offering them a fair salary. We are proud of our team without them , we wouldn’t be able to offer the best service and lifetime experiences to our clients.
SAM Travel Peru knows how important it is to trust in a reliable honest operator to create your adventure of a lifetime while in Peru. Check out our reviews and certificates of excellence on, TRIPADVISOR for yourself! Also we are highly recommended on Conde Nast Travelers, Lonely Planet and by many blogs like: Salkantay/Inka Trail ! July 14th to 20th 2016 Trek de Lares 4 hours, “It’s the journey, not the destination…”, Lares Pass – Day 3, Trekking in the Sacred Valley, Alli and Ellie hike to Machu Picchu
In an effort to provide a more personalized service to our passengers, we at SAM Travel Peru have a policy to keep our groups small. With private tours we do 2 to 8 persons. By keeping our groups small, this sets us apart from other companies that operate departures with much larger groups.
OUR TOUR GUIDES
We are proud of our guides! Highly professional, speaking fluent English, very knowledgeable and passionate for Incan heritage and history. Our guides are dedicated to steady personal development, learning to ensure that you receive accurate and recognized theories in Incan and Andean culture. Fun loving, great sportsmen and well – educated crew, as well as, holding degrees in one of the following: Archaeology, Tourism, Botany, History or Anthropology.
OUR SOCIAL PROJECTS
SAM Travel Peru have always believed that we should “give back” to the local isolated communities. Therefore, as part of our commitment to responsible tourism, we always do many social projects and hire locally.
SAM Travel Peru is so proud to be able to support these people, not only employing them but go back to our grassroots as they share with their families. It makes us happy to have this holistic approach with our highland employees and their families!
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR YOUR TOUR
Please read carefully the following information as it will answer all of your questions about our services and tours
ARRIVAL TO CUSCO
You will be welcomed at Cusco airport and taken to your hotel, please ensure that you inform us of your full flight details at least 14 days prior to your trek. Look out for our representative holding an orange board SAM Travel Peru at the arrival terminal.
The briefing will take place the night before the trek at 6pm in our office, which is located at Calle Santa Teresa Nº383 ; 303 (second floor), we are next to SUBWAY restaurant.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE
Of course! During the Machu Picchu Tour your main luggage can be store at our office or at your hotel, both are for free.
HOW TO BOOK THE TOUR?
Please be ready with the following information (FROM EACH PARTICIPANT in your group). We cannot purchase an an entrance to Machu Picchu or the train without the following information:
- Personal information (your full name, exactly as on your passport):
- Passport number
- D.OB. (dd / mm / yyyy)
SECOND, we require a deposit of $211.00 USD per person in order to purchase a your entrance to Machu Picchu and train ticket. You can make you deposit by clicking on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on the top of our home page, or you can click on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on our booking page.
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
It would be greatly appreciated if you pay in cash at our office (US dollars or Peruvian soles) here in Cusco. We have many ATMs within the historical center to withdraw money. You can also pay by VISA or PAYPAL online but you will have to pay a 5.5% service charge, charged by VISA and PAYPAL. To pay your balance through PAYPAL, you need to log into your PAYPAL account using our email address of firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
- According to Peruvian Law, you must be under 18 years of age at the time of your trek, tour, or visit to Machu Picchu (students 18 & above need ISIC cards). For example: if you book a trek at the age of 17 but you turn 18 before you do your trek, you do not qualify for a student discount.
- All students from 12 to 17 years, the discount is $40 USD.
- For children from the age of 2 to 12 the discount is $60 USD.
- For children from the age of 0 to 2 are free.
- All students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of their booking to get the student discount.
- Send us a copy at email@example.com
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT?
Unfortunately, the answer is No. Once the tickets have been bought the government does not allow any changes, so we can’t change any departure date after the tickets has been bought. Tickets are also not transferable nor refundable. If you cancel your Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu & Lake Titicaca Tour, the deposit is not refundable at all!
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT
Yes! You have to bring your original passport and it is very important that it is the same passport number you sent to us to book your entrance to Machu Picchu, train ticket, other entrances and reservations.
In case you are renewing your passport or changing your name, go ahead and send us your old passport information to secure your permit, and we can change it when you get your new passport number or updated your name for a fee of $25 USD per person. We must have a copy of your old and new passport to make the change. Before you change your passport keep a copy of your old one.
If you do not wish to pay this fee you will need to bring both passports to Peru with you. You can enter Peru with your new passport but you will need to show both passports, old and new to be to enter into Machu Picchu or the train. If you do not have both you will not be allowed to enter into Machu Picchu or get on the train.
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE ON THE TOUR
The weather is very unpredictable and it’s difficult to foresee. We recommend to always dress in layers as it is more easier to adjust to the different climates.
ARE WE DROPPED OFF AT OUR HOTEL AFTER THE TOUR
Absolutely!! Hotel pick ups and drop offs are included with all of our packages! If you have booked your hotel in the Sacred Valley, we will drop you off there and vice versa.
In general, if you excerise regularly and spend a couple of days in Cusco or the Sacred Valley, you will be able to acclimate normally. It usually take between 24 hours to 2 days.
The recommended remedies for altitude sickness is WATER, COCA TEA and OXYGEN IF NEEDED; our guides are trained to treat you for Altitude Sickness. See our detailed information about Altitude Sickness under FAQS.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip – though not compulsory – is appreciated. While it may not be customary to you, it’s of great significance for the people who will take care of you during the tour. It inspires excellent service and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many SAM Travel Peru destinations. Of course you are free to tip more or less as you feel, depending on your perception of the quality and the length of your tour. Remember, a tip is not compulsory and should only be given when you receive excellent service.
ARE YOU SUSTAINABLE?
Yes, we are a local, sustainable & responsible tourism operator that incorporates universal principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the local communities by respecting their culture and religion. With this in mind, we have trained all our local staff to know and understand, respect the places and the local people.
WHAT TO BRING
- A small backpack or carry bag (larger not allowed on the train or in Machu Picchu)
- Changes of clothing
- Comfortable shoes or runners
- Water to drink
- Rain jacket or poncho
- A fleece or jacket
- Warm jacket for nights
- Basic toiletries
- Insect repellent for mosquitoes
- Hat for the sun
- Some extra money for lunch, snacks and souvenirs
- Original passport (cannot enter Machu Picchu without it)