Machu Picchu Tours – ITINERARY
Wake up early to rise to a new day of adventure and mindfulness sharing the day with our majestic Machu Picchu. We pick you up at your hotel 6:30am and then drive in our private van to Poroy-Cusco Train Station to leave at 7:35am (in off-season January through April, we pick you up at 6:00am from Cusco to Ollantaytambo Train Station for the 8:00 am Vistadome Train)
Travel through the alpine meadows nestled amongst the green brown and white peaks, the intricately formed valleys, layers of handmade Inca farming terraces, ridged snowcapped mountains and sub-tropical jungle near the Amazon, from Ollantaytambo the sacred Vilcanota River will be our companion until arrival at Aguas Calientes.
Your guide will meet you at the train station at 10:52am. You will have just a few minutes to get a sandwich or something for lunch before being transferred to Machu Picchu on the shuttle bus. (2040mt/7907ft). Following in the ancient and remote footsteps of the Lost City of the Incas, listen carefully the 2.5 hours of guided tour and cultural exchange of the history of Machu Picchu. You will then be gifted with free time to explore, take photos, or hike to the Sun Gate. Returning to Aguas Calientes, you will catch the early evening Vistadome train 5:23pm train to Poroy, where we take you back to your hotel in Cusco, arriving approximately by 10pm. **See note below for rainy season.
Meals: Snack and Hot Drinks on the Train.
***Note that from January through April the Vistadome Train runs only from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu and from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo train Station.
- Hiking up to the SUN Gate: (no ticket is needed). It takes an hour hike from where you may enjoy the amazing angle view of Machu Picchu- a 2-hour round trip hike.
- Inca Bridge: (no ticket needed). It is a 25-minute walk from the citadel, great views.
VISTADOME CLASS TRAIN
The Vistadome is the ideal train for those who want to be in contact with the environment and appreciate the wonderful journey to Machu Picchu. Connect your senses through a sophisticated and sensory travel experience with the best comfort and quality service!
Surrounded by glass, in cars with large panoramic windows on the side and ceiling, offering incomparable scenic views and numerous opportunities to capture amazing pictures. The Vistadome has a different service, which allows the visitor to be immersed in the Andean Culture through its landscapes, music, dance and even food, carefully prepared with local ingredients.
The Vistadome train provides travelers with on board personalized and first class service to give them an unforgettable lifetime experience. It also has air conditioning and heating, leather seats that adjust the body to provide comfort and relaxation during the entire trip.
You start your journey at the Poroy station located about 25 minutes from downtown Cusco, the journey to Machu Picchu lasts just over three hours you arrive at Aguas Calientes. Peru Rail is concerned about every detail of a passengers needs in this unique experience.
Your return journey is from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo the Sacred Valley of the Incas a journey lasting 2 hours. When you arrive at Ollantaytambo, you will transfer to a private van for your trip back to Cusco, arriving at your hotel at about 10pm.
**Hike of Huaynapicchu or Machu Picchu Mt. is not possible with the time schedule of a one-day tour.
Enjoy Machu Picchu Tours in 1 Day Tour with SAM Travel Peru, in a Small Group!
- At 6:30am; transfer from your hotel to Poroy Train Station. (Train leaves at 7:35 am)
- The train ride consists of spectacular views in the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
- At 10:52 am, your guide will meet you at the train station, you will have a few minutes to get some lunch if you like and then a shuttle will take you from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu taking 30 minutes.
- At 12:00pm you will enter Machu Picchu for the second session; and have a guided tour of 2.5 hours of Machupicchu “The Old Sacred Mountain” and then you have some free time for taking photos, exploring the citadel, hiking up to the Sun Gate.
- At any time with your guide, you can take the shuttle bus back to Aguas Calientes town.
- At 6:10pm, return by Vistadome Train to Ollantaytambo and then private van to Cusco.
- Arriving to your hotel in Cusco approximately at around 10pm.
***Hike of Huaynapicchu or Machu Picchu Mt. is not possible with the time schedule of a one-day tour.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Transfer at 6:30am from your hotel to Poroy Train Station
- Vistadome train ticket from Poroy to Aguas Calientes
- Bus round trip from Aguas Calientes to Machu-Picchu (30mins)
- Admission ticket for Machu Picchu sanctuary
- Guided tour in English (2.5 hours approximately – 2 hours free time to explore on your own)
- (Small group from 3 to 8 people with an experienced English speaking guide)
- Vistadome train ticket return to Ollantaytambo, then transfer back to your hotel in Cusco by van
- Snacks and Dance Presentation are included
- Transfer from the train station to your hotel.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Hike of Huaynapicchu or Machu Picchu Mt. not possible with the time schedule of a one-day tour.
- Tips for your guide.
The Machu Picchu Tours is available on any date that is best for you, as long as we have a minimum of 2 persons
PRICE -$377 USD per person
***Private service is available for $40 USD more per person.
***All entrance fees are included and we operate our tours in small groups averaging 5 persons with a maximum of 8!
- 18 to 25 years old:$30 USD. Information required on student card: name of university, student name, photo of student, expiration date etc. A copy of the card at booking is required & government approval for discount.
- Under 18 years old:$30 USD. Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Under 11 years old:$40 USD. Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
WHY CHOOSE SAM TRAVEL
SAM Travel Peru is a family owned travel agency and a local tour operator based in Cusco with personal experience over many years of trekking. SAM Travel Peru is a 1oo% Cusquenian Company without any shareholders.
Our dream as a locally based company is to create small personalized tours & treks strictly and only operated by local professional staff catering in PERSONALIZED and HIGH QUALITY SERVICE.
We take pride in having a reputation as being a RESPONSIBLE & SUSTAINABLE tour operator. Our staff are our extended family. We ensure they are supported financially by offering them a fair salary. We are proud of our team without them , we wouldn’t be able to offer the best service and lifetime experiences to our clients.
SAM Travel Peru knows how important it is to trust in a reliable honest operator to create your adventure of a lifetime while in Peru. Check out our reviews and certificates of excellence on, TRIPADVISOR for yourself! Also we are highly recommended on Conde Nast Travelers, Lonely Planet and by many blogs like: Salkantay/Inka Trail ! July 14th to 20th 2016 Trek de Lares 4 hours, “It’s the journey, not the destination…”, Lares Pass – Day 3, Trekking in the Sacred Valley, Alli and Ellie hike to Machu Picchu
In an effort to provide a more personalised service to our passengers, we in SAM Travel Peru have a policy that our groups will not exceed 8 people. This fact alone sets us apart from other companies that operate departures with bigger groups.
OUR TOP TOUR GUIDES
I am very proud of my guides! Highly professional, speaking in fluent English and very knowledgeable. Passionate for the Inca heritage/ history, dedicated to a steady personal development and learning to ensure that you receive accurate and recognised theories about the Inca Andean culture. Fun loving, great sportsmen and well educated some having a degree in Archaeology, Botany, History or Anthropology. Others are great entertainers and the best “Salsa Dancers” on this side of Machu Picchu.
OUR SOCIAL PROJECTS
SAM Travel Peru has always believed that we should “give back” to the communities we pass through on our treks. Therefore, as part of our commitment in responsible tourism, we socially support and employee from these communities.
SAM Travel Peru is proud to be able to support these beautiful people, not only in hiring them for work but to bring things back to grassroots, to share in their home and families. This makes us happy to have a holistic approach with our highland employees and their families!
A beautiful reflection of our attitude in everything we do, is that we wish to make life richer and more meaningful for all involved.
“Please read carefully the following information; it will help you answer all of your questions about our services and tour”
WELCOME TO CUSCO
You will be welcomed at Cusco airport and taken to your hotel, please ensure that you inform us of your full flight details at least 14 days prior to your trek. Look out for our representative holding an orange board SAM Travel Peru at the arrival terminal. It can be done on any date that is best suited to you!
It will take place the night before the trekking departure at 6pm in our office which is located at Calle Santa Teresa Nº383 ; 303 (second floor), we are next to SUBWAY restaurant.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE:
Of course! During the Machu Picchu Tours your main luggage can be store at our office or at your hotel, both are for free. Please don’t pack anything you will need for your hike.
HOW TO BOOK:
Please be ready with the following information (FROM EACH PARTICIPANT in your group). We cannot purchase an an entrance to Machu Picchu or the train without the following information:
- Personal information (your full name, exactly as on your passport):
- Passport number
- D.OB. (dd / mm / yyyy)
SECOND, we require a deposit of US$200.00 per person in order to purchase a your entrance to Machu Picchu and train ticket. You can make you deposit by clicking on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on the top of our home page, or you can click on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on our booking page or click here on the payment method of your choice, either VISA or PAYPAL.
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
It would be greatly appreciated if you pay in cash at our office (US dollars or Peruvian soles) here in Cusco. We have many cash machines in the historical center to withdraw money. You can also pay by VISA or PAYPAL online but you will have to pay a 5.5% service charge, charged by VISA and PAYPAL. To pay your balance through PAYPAL, you need to log into your PAYPAL account using our email address of email@example.com.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
- According to Peruvian Law you must be under 18 years of age at the time of your trek, tour, or visit to Machu Picchu (students 18 & above need student cards). For example if you book a trek at the age of 17 but you turn 18 before you do your trek, you do not qualify for a student discount.
- All students from 11 to 17 years, the discount is $30.
- For children from the age of 2 to 11 the discount is $40.
- For children from the age of 0 to 2 are free.
- All students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of their booking to get the student discount.
- Send us a copy at firstname.lastname@example.org
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT?
Unfortunately the answer is “No”. Once the tickets have been bought the government does not allow any changes, so we can’t change any departure date after the tickets has been bought. Tickets are also not transferable nor refundable.
*** If you cancel your 1 Day Machu Picchu Tours, the deposit is not refundable at all!
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT FOR MACHU PICCHU TOURS?
Yes for sure! You have to bring your original passport and it is very important that it is the same passport number you sent to us to book your entrance to Machu Picchu, train ticket, other entrances and reservations. The rangers will check when you enter Machu Picchu. The train company will also check your passport before allowing you to board the train.
In case you are renewing your passport or changing your name, go ahead and send us your old passport information to secure your permit, and we can change it when you get your new passport number or updated your name for a fee of $25 per person. We must have a copy of your old and new passport to make the change. Before you change your passport keep a copy of your old one.
If you do not wish to pay this fee you will need to bring both passports to Peru with you. You can enter Peru with your new passport but you will need to show both passports, old and new to be to enter into Machu Picchu or the train. If you do not have both you will not be allowed to enter into Machu Picchu and train. They are very strict about this here!!
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE IN THE MACHU PICCHU TOURS?
First I would say that the weather is very unpredictable and it’s difficult to foresee. We recommend you to bring a warm jacket for early morning and rain poncho in case of a rain shower.
ARE WE DROPPED AT OUR HOTEL AFTER THE 1 DAY MACHU PICCHU TOURS?
Absolutely! Included in our packages is dropping you off at your hotel on the return from your trek or tour. If you have booked your hotel in the Sacred Valley like Ollantaytambo or Urubamba, we will drop you there too!
If you spend the night at Ollantaytambo before the trek, we wil pick you up there.
In general if you have regular exercise and spend a couple of days in Cusco, or in the Sacred Valley for acclimatisation to the altitude, you may be fine.
The recommended medicine for altitude sickness is WATER, COCA TEA and OXYGEN IF NEEDED; our guides are trained to treat you for Altitude Sickness. See our detailed information about Altitude Sickness under FAQS.
We offer the Cusco City Tour or Sacred Valley Tour that you can book while you are acclimatizing. Check out our Day Tours on our Home Page.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it’s of great significance for the people who will take care of you during the tour. It inspires excellent service and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many SAM Travel Peru destinations. Of course you are free to tip more or less as you feel, depending on your perception of the quality and the length of your tour. Remember, a tip is not compulsory and should only be given when you receive excellent service.
ARE YOU SUSTAINABLE?
Yes, we are a local sustainable & responsible tourism operator for that we incorporate the universal principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the local communities respecting their culture and religion. With this in mind, we have trained all our staff to know, understand and respect the local places and it´s people.
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING?
- A small daypack with water to drink
- Snacks if you like
- Comfortable shoes or runners
- Camera and rain jacket or poncho
- A fleece or jacket, basic toiletries
- Hat for the sun , sunscreen, insect repellent.
- Passport (Cannot enter Train or Machu Picchu without passport)
- ISIC card if appropriate.
- Money for souvenirs