DAY 1: CUSCO CITY TOUR
Upon your arrival to Cusco, you will be greeted by our representative and transferred to your hotel. There you will receive a short briefing and have the remainder of the morning to acclimatize. In the afternoon at 1pm, we will introduce you to the Imperial City of Cusco, a living example of the mix of Andean and Spanish culture. Continuing your journey, you will visit the Santo Domingo Convent built over the Koricancha, as well as the ancient Inca Palace and the main worship center of the Sun God. Our tour continues to the unmatched and mesmerizing archaeological site of Sacsayhuaman and its military Inca Architecture, which dominates the city. Finally, we explore the archaeological sites of Qenqo, Pucapucara and Tambomachay, located in the north east of the city. We will head back to your hotel in Cusco by early evening.
- Accommodations: Best Western Hotel or Maytaq Wasin Hotel 3*
DAY 2: CUSCO – PISAC – MORAY – SALT MINE – OLLANTAYTAMBO – AGUAS CALIENTES
Bright and early, we pick you up at 7am at your hotel in Cusco or Sacred Valley, navigating through the hairpin bends, with each motion in change of direction, stirring the excitement within. On the way, we stop at the classic view site of the Urubamba valley, with crops dressing the mountains like carpet. Parking up at the colourful market of Pisac, we enjoy free time to interact with the local artisans or to purchase their hand-made souvenirs. Onto the archeological site of Pisac, perched in the safety of its mountain nest, we enjoy the great and unique ancient tombs, terraces, watch towers and religious areas. After time at this Inca Fortress, we will continue to the village of Urubamba for lunch.
With its timeless charm, we visit the archeological site of Moray also known as “The Greenhouses of the Incas,” an evolutionary bowl of ecological difference. Levels of terraces are carved into a huge bowl, part of which was further excavated by the Incas for their crops. The terraces have varied microclimates depending on how deep into the bowl they are, thus it is believed that they have been used by the Incas to discover the optimal conditions for their different crops.
We expand our journey to the colonial town of Maras, ascending our hike downhill to the pre-Inca salt mine. Thousands of saltpans have been used for salt extraction since before Inca times. A hot spring at the top of the valley discharges a small stream of heavily salt laden water, which is diverted into saltpans and evaporated to produce a salt that is used for human and animal consumption. Finally, we drive to Ollantaytambo, where we have time to explore the age old and bustling Inca village. Then at 7pm, we will take the train to Aguas Calientes where we will spend the night in a hotel.
- Accommodations: Wiracocha Inn Hotel or Andean Terra Hotel
- Meals: Breakfast
DAY 3: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
Bursting out with excitement on your final surreal day, we take the 5.30am bus to Machu Picchu archeological site to enjoy the morning sunrise. With our 2 hour tour we make sure to explore every nook and cranny of this New 7 Wonder of the World and UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site, the majestic Machu Picchu Citadel. What an unforgettable experience. Your guide will expertly direct you through the energetic ruins and its diverse main streets. Then on your own, you can wander around the town squares of the world’s spiritual center of esoteric wisdom, as well as climb the intricately carved stairways made of stone.
If you wish to indulge in a few of the following activities on your own you can: (not included in the price)
- Climb Huayna Picchu – appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu from there. (additional fee)
- Climb Machu Picchu Mountain – appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu from there. (additional fee)
- You will be given some time to walk to the Sun Gate or Inti Punku. ( No additional fee)
- Other optional activities in Aguas Calientes include a visit to the new local museum or to the hot springs. (entrance fee)
Train to Cusco: You will descend to Aguas Calientes, eat a leisurely lunch and at 4:22pm board the Expedition train for the return trip to Cusco. Upon reaching Ollantaytambo train station, you will transfer to a private van for your return to Cusc, arriving at your hotel at 8pm.
- Accommodations: Best Western Hotel or Maytaq Wasin Hotel 3*
- Meals: Breakfast
DAY 4: CUSCO – ANDAHUAYLILLAS – RACCHI – LA RAYA – PUNO
We pick you up at your hotel at 6.30am to take you to the bus station (Inca Express or First Class). Both companies provide royal class service with an English-speaking tour guide, a waiter who is ready to assist you with hot, and cold drinks on board. During the trip, you will stop to visit some Inca ruins, museums and the Andahuaylillas Church, which is considered to be the Sistine Chapel of South America because of its amazing frescos. Then we stop at the Racchi Inca ruins, which used to be a religious and resting place for Inca travelers. The next visit is at La Raya, the border between Cusco and Puno, where the most traditional animals of Peru can be seen, llamas and alpacas. In Pucara, we will visit a museum where it is possible to see some pre-Inca remains. Finally, by 5.30 pm we arrive in Puno city where our representative will pick you up to take you to your hotel.
- Meal: Breakfast – Lunch
- Accommodations: Casa Andina Puno 3***
DAY 5: PUNO – UROS – TACQUILE – PUNO
We pick you up at your hotel in Puno at 7:30am and transfer you to the port of Puno. This is when you adventure begins to “the Uros floating islands” an ancient ethnic group of people living on Lake Titicaca since pre-Incan times. They are still maintaining their original lifestyle fishing, hunting birds, gathering eggs and making optimum use of the reeds even ingesting them. At about 8:30 you will arrive at the islands and get to enjoy the opportunity to interact with the local families. You will visit their homes, and have a demonstration of how they live their lives, and how they construct the floating islands. You will have the option for a boat ride on the magnificent reed boats constructed by the locals (10 soles extra). After enjoying some time on the Uros Islands, you will be on your way to Taquile Island arriving around 11am. There you will have the opportunity to experience some local music and dance, have a scrumptious lunch at a local restaurant, and time to hike around the island and enjoy the spectacular landscape and views of Lake Titicaca. You will arrive back to Puno at around 3:30pm and be transferred back to your hotel.
***You can add at 2 day trip on lake Titicaca with an overnight stay with local family for $20 more.
- Meals: Breakfast – Lunch
- Transportation: Fast Boat Service
NOTE – Our tour ends in PUNO
- You can continue your tour to Bolivia through Copacabana and the SUN ISLAND (isla del sol);
- You can go to the Salt mine in Bolivia or the jungle,
- You can continue from Puno to Arequipa
- You can just go to Juliaca and fly back to Lima – LATAM Airlines leave at 9pm Juliaca Airport.
- If you want to experience the train ride to Cusco, it takes 12 hours with amazing views.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Pick up and drop off at your hotel.
- Entrances to the Inca Cities and all Archeological Sites
- Private transportation
- Round Trip Expedition Train Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes and back to Ollantaytambo
- Hotel accommodations, Cusco, Aguas Calientes, and Puno
- Meals as indicated on itinerary
- Roundtrip bus ticket Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu
- Entrance fees to Machu Picchu
- Professional English & Spanish speaking guide
- Visit to the ruins along the way to Puno.
- Tourist bus to Puno with English-speaking tour guide.
- Pick up in Puno bus station and transfer to your hotel.
- Pick up from your hotel and transfer to the port of Puno.
- Fast boat with English-speaking tour guide.
- Visit of the Uros & Taquile Islands on Lake Titicaca.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Meals not indicated on the itinerary
- Entrance fee to the hot springs of Aguas Calientes (optional)
- Entrance of Wayna Picchu – US $35
- Entrance to Machu Picchu Mountain – US$30
- Upgrades train – For Vistadome train add US$57 per person
- Upgrade hotel in Aguas Calientes – US$40 per person
- Optional boat ride on the Island of Uros (10 soles)
- 2 day trip on the islands with overnight stay with local family US$20
- Tips for your guide
This fantastic tour can be done on any date that is best for you as long as we have a minimum of 2 participant.
US$677 per person without hotels
US$847 per person with 4 nights hotels
*** You can add a 2 day tour of the Islands with an overnight stay with a local family for $40 extra.
***Private service is available for $100 more per person.
***All entrance fees are included and we operate our tours in small groups averaging 5 persons with a maximum of 8!
***The transfer from Puno to the airport of Juliaca is US$25 extra per person for a private service.
- 18 to 25 years old: US$30 Information required on student card: name of university, student name, photo of student, expiration date etc. A copy of the card at booking is required & government approval for discount.
- Under 18 years old: US$30 Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Under 11 years old: US$40 Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Huayna Picchu Climb: US$35. This will need to be booked in advance, let us know about it at the time of booking.
- Machu Picchu Mountain: US$30. This will need to be booked in advance, let us know about it at the time of booking.
- Upgrade to Vista Dome Train: US$57. (Aguas Calientes to Poroy (Cusco) at 4:43pm)
- Upgrade to 2 days on Lake Titicaca with an overnight stay with local family for US$20.
- Transfer from Puno to Juliaca Airport – US$25 per person.
- Upgrade Hotel Aguas Calientes– 3 star US$45. (Can upgrade to 4 or 5 star also)
- Single Supplement: US$30 2* and US$45 3* for single travelers
WHY CHOOSE SAM TRAVEL
SAM (initials of Saul Alvarez Montalvo) Travel Peru is a family owned travel agency and direct local tour operator based in Cusco with personal experience over many years of trekking. SAM Travel Peru is a 1oo% Cusquenian Company without any shareholders.
My dream as the owner was to create small personalized tours & treks strictly and only operated by local professional staff catering in PERSONALIZED and HIGH QUALITY SERVICE.
We take pride in having a reputation as being a RESPONSIBLE & SUSTAINABLE tour operator. My staff are my extended family. I ensure they are supported financially by paying them a good wage. I am proud of my team without them I couldn’t give the best service and lifetime experiences to our clients.
In an effort to provide a more personalised service to our passengers, we in SAM Travel Peru have a policy that our groups will not exceed 8 people. This fact alone sets us apart from other companies that operate departures with bigger groups.
OUR TOP TOUR GUIDES
I am very proud of my guides! Highly professional, speaking in fluent English and very knowledgeable. Passionate for the Inca heritage/ history, dedicated to a steady personal development and learning to ensure that you receive accurate and recognised theories about the Inca Andean culture. Fun loving, great sportsmen and well educated some having a degree in Archaeology, Botany, History or Anthropology. Others are great entertainers and the best “Salsa Dancers” on this side of Machu Picchu.
OUR SOCIAL PROJECTS
SAM Travel Peru has always believed that we should “give back” to the communities we pass through on our treks. Therefore, as part of our commitment in responsible tourism, we socially support and employee from these communities.
SAM Travel Peru is proud to be able to support these beautiful people, not only in hiring them for work but to bring things back to grassroots, to share in their home and families. This makes us happy to have a holistic approach with our highland employees and their families!
A beautiful reflection of our attitude in everything we do, is that we wish to make life richer and more meaningful for all involved.
Please read carefully the following information; it will help you answer all of your questions about our services and tours
WELCOME TO CUSCO
You will be welcomed at Cusco airport and taken to your hotel, please ensure that you inform us of your full flight details at least 14 days prior to your trek. Look out for our representative holding an orange board SAM Travel Peru at the arrival terminal. It can be done on any date that is best suited to you!
It will take place the night before the trekking departure at 6pm in our office which is located at Calle Santa Teresa Nº383 ; 303 (second floor), we are next to SUBWAY restaurant.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE:
Of course! During the Machu Picchu Tour your main luggage can be store at our office or at your hotel, both are for free. Please don´t pack anything you will need for your hike.
HOW TO BOOK THE TOUR?
Please be ready with the following information (FROM EACH PARTICIPANT in your group). We cannot purchase an an entrance to Machu Picchu or the train without the following information:
- Personal information (your full name, exactly as on your passport):
- Passport number
- D.OB. (dd / mm / yyyy)
SECOND, we require a deposit of US$200.00 per person in order to purchase a your entrance to Machu Picchu and train ticket. You can make you deposit by clicking on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on the top of our home page, or you can click on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on our booking page or click here on the payment method of your choice, either VISA or PAYPAL.
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
It would be greatly appreciated if you pay in cash at our office (US dollars or Peruvian soles) here in Cusco. We have many cash machines in the historical center to withdraw money. You can also pay by VISA or PAYPAL online but you will have to pay a 5.5% service charge, charged by VISA and PAYPAL. To pay your balance through PAYPAL, you need to log into your PAYPAL account using our email address of email@example.com.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
- According to Peruvian Law you must be under 18 years of age at the time of your trek, tour, or visit to Machu Picchu (students 18 & above need student cards). For example if you book a trek at the age of 17 but you turn 18 before you do your trek, you do not qualify for a student discount.
- All students from 11 to 17 years, the discount is $30.
- For children from the age of 2 to 11 the discount is $40.
- For children from the age of 0 to 2 are free.
- All students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of their booking to get the student discount.
- Send us a copy at firstname.lastname@example.org
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT?
Unfortunately the answer is “No”. Once the tickets have been bought the government does not allow any changes, so we can’t change any departure date after the tickets has been bought. Tickets are also not transferable nor refundable.
*** If you cancel your Cusco City to Machu Picchu Tour, the deposit is not refundable at all!
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT FOR THE TOUR?
Yes for sure!You have to bring your original passport and it is very important that it is the same passport number you sent to us to book your entrance to Machu Picchu, train ticket, other entrances and reservations. The rangers will check when you enter Machu Picchu. The train company will also check your passport before allowing you to board the train.
In case you are renewing your passport or changing your name, go ahead and send us your old passport information to secure your permit, and we can change it when you get your new passport number or updated your name for a fee of $25 per person. We must have a copy of your old and new passport to make the change. Before you change your passport keep a copy of your old one.
If you do not wish to pay this fee you will need to bring both passports to Peru with you. You can enter Peru with your new passport but you will need to show both passports, old and new to be to enter into Machu Picchu or the train. If you do not have both you will not be allowed to enter into Machu Picchu or get on the train. They are very strict about this here!!
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE ON THE TOUR?
First I would say that the weather is very unpredictable and it’s difficult to foresee. We recommend you to bring a warm jacket for early morning and rain poncho in case of a rain shower.
ARE WE DROPPED AT OUR HOTEL AFTER THE TOUR?
Absolutely! Included in our packages is dropping you off at your hotel on the return from your trek or tour. If you have booked your hotel in the Sacred Valley like Ollantaytambo or Urubamba, we will drop you there too!
If you spend the night at Ollantaytambo before the trek, we wil pick you up there.
In general if you have regular exercise and spend a couple of days in Cusco, or in the Sacred Valley for acclimatisation to the altitude, you may be fine.
The recommended medicine for altitude sickness is WATER, COCA TEA and OXYGEN IF NEEDED; our guides are trained to treat you for Altitude Sickness. See our detailed information about Altitude Sickness under FAQS.
We offer the Cusco City Tour or Sacred Valley Tour that you can book while you are acclimatizing. Check out our Day Tours on our Home Page.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it’s of great significance for the people who will take care of you during the tour. It inspires excellent service and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many SAM Travel Peru destinations. Of course you are free to tip more or less as you feel, depending on your perception of the quality and the length of your tour. Remember, a tip is not compulsory and should only be given when you receive excellent service.
ARE YOU SUSTAINABLE?
Yes, we are a local sustainable & responsible tourism operator for that we incorporate the universal principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the local communities respecting their culture and religion. With this in mind, we have trained all our staff to know, understand and respect the local places and it´s people.
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING
- A small backpack or carry bag (larger not allowed on the train or in Machu Picchu)
- A change of clothing
- Comfortable shoes or runners
- Water to drink
- Rain jacket or poncho
- A fleece or jacket,
- Basic toiletries,
- Insect repellent for mosquitoes
- Hat for the sun
- Some extra money for lunch, snacks and souvenirs
- Original passport (cannot enter Machu Picchu without it)