DAY 1: CUSCO CITY TOUR
Upon your arrival in Cusco, you will be welcomed by our representative and transferred to your hotel. There you will receive a short briefing with the rest of the morning being at your leisure to rest and acclimatize. We will pick you up from your hotel in the afternoon and start to visit the Imperial Cusco City, a living example of the mix of Andean and Spanish cultures. Continuing our journey visiting the Santo Domingo Convent built over the Koricancha, as well as the ancient Inca Palace and the main worship center of the Sun God. You will have time to enjoy these beautiful sights; proceeding to visit the archaeological site of Sacsayhuaman with its military Inca architecture which dominates the city.
Finally, we go to the north east of the city to the archaeological sites of Qenqo, Pucapucara and Tambomachay. Afterwards we take you back to your hotel in early evening to rest and then you can enjoy Cusco by night in one of the many terrific restaurants surrounding the Main Square of the Plaza de Armas.
- Accommodations: Maytaq Wasin, or Best Western Hotels 3*
- Accommodations: Costa del Sol Ramada, Casa Andina Private Collections & Novotel 4*
DAY 2:CUSCO- PISAC – MORAY- SALT MINES- OLLANTAYTAMBO
We will pick you up at your hotel at 7:30am, with our private van and head towards the Sacred Valley of the Incas, taking the direct route to Pisac. We stop at Ccochawasi Animal Sanctuary to see the native animals like the Condor, Llama, Alpaca and Puma. After this, we drive for 10 minutes up to the mirador of Taray to have a classic view of the Urubamba valley with crops dressing the mountains like a carpet. Onward, we drive to the archaeological site of Pisac, where you can see the biggest Inca cemetery with more than 2000 tombs. There we can admire the incredible farming terraces carved into the mountain, explore the Inca tunnel and the religious area of this important citadel. Here we will spend more than 2 hours, exploring the Inca city.
Then we head back to the colourful market of Pisac, spend some time visiting it and then drive to Urumbamba for lunch and then on to the Pre-Inca Salt Mines and then to the archeological site of Moray. After a time to visit the Salt Mines and Moray, we finish our tour in Ollantaytambo. We explore the archeological site for 1.5 hours and admire the water fountains, the Sun Temple, the Incahuatana and the impressive storehouses. Here you will stay the evening in your hotel.
- Accommodations: Tunupa Lodge, Iskay or Alberque Hotels (Hotels not rated in Ollantaytambo)
- Accommodations: Pakaritampu Hotel (Hotels not rated in Ollantaytambo, best hotel there)
- Meals: Breakfast
DAY 3: Ollantaytambo – 104 kms – WIÑAYHUAYNA – SUN GATE – MACHU PICCHU
With a compacted 2 days of excitement ahead, we will pick you up from your hotel at 5:30am and drive you to the Ollantaytambo train station. A 1.5-hour scenic Expedition train ride to 104 kms point (elevation 2,100m/6,927ft) will take us to the place where we begin our trek. At this point, we begin a moderate climb for three hours to the chiseled remnants and remote archaeological site of Wiñayhuana, (2,650m/8747ft). Enjoy the spectacular plunging views of the Urubamba Canyon, and the ethnic wonders of the ancient Inca sites, as you embrace them with an open mind and heart your connection with the ancient Inca Trail will begin. After your being at one with this beautiful sight, we will continue onward towards the Sun Gate. (2,730mts/9,007ft) Following the ancient remote footpath, we get our first spectacular view of Machu Picchu in all its brilliance and majesty. As we move closer to the citadel of Machu Picchu, you will feel her mystical presence. Then we will take our bus to Aguas Calientes, where we will spend the night in our hotel.
- Meals: Box Lunch & Dinner.
- Accommodations: La Cabaña Hotel or Santuario Hotel 3*
- Accommodations: El Mapi Hotel 4*
- Difficulty: Moderate.
DAY 4: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
Today you will get to enjoy exploring Machu Picchu and experience her magical presence by taking the first bus at 5:30am to the Machu Picchu archeological site, for the 1st session 6:am to 12:pm. If you hurry, you will get to see the sunrise over Machu Picchu. Take your time, making sure you tour every nook and cranny of this New 7 Wonder of the World and UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site. It is an unforgettable experience.
Your guide will expertly direct you through the energetic ruins and its diverse main streets. Then on your own, wander around the town squares of the world’s spiritual center of esoteric wisdom as well as climb the intricately carved stairways made of stone. Or you can stay still and drink in the pure majesty of her presence, and enjoy the pure delight of the moment.
Here are a few of alternative activities that you might wish to indulge in on your own:
- Climb up Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain and appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu (not included in your tour price and must be booked in advance.)
- You will be given some time to walk to the Sun Gate or Inti Punku (free of charge)
- Other optional activities in Aguas Calientes include a visit to the new local museum or to the hot springs (entrance fees required)
You will descend to Aguas Calientes when you are ready to eat lunch and later on board the Vistadome train at 4:43pm for the return trip to Poroy (Cusco) station and you will be driven back to your hotel in Cusco in our private van arriving at around 8:45pm. (During the rainy season from January through April the train only runs to Ollantaytambo)
- Accommodations: Maytaq Wasin or Best Western Hotels 3*
- Accommodations: Costa del Sol Ramada, Casa Andina Private Collections & Novotel 4***
- Meal: Breakfast
- Difficulty: Easy.
***Those that have booked Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mt. climbs get 2 hours extra at Machu Picchu.
DAY 5: CUSCO – ANDAHUAYLILLAS – RACCHI – LA RAYA – PUNO
We pick you up at your hotel at 6.30am to take you to the bus station (Inca Express or First Class). Both companies provide royal class service with an English-speaking tour guide, and a waiter who is ready to assist you with hot, and cold drinks on board. During the trip, you will stop to visit some Inca ruins, museums and the Andahuaylillas Church, which is considered to be the Sistine Chapel of South America because of its amazing frescos. Then we stop at the Racchi Inca ruins, which used to be a religious and resting place for Inca travelers. The next visit is at La Raya, the border between Cusco and Puno, where the most traditional animals of Peru can be seen, llamas and alpacas. In Pucara, we will visit a museum where it is possible to see some pre-Inca remains. Finally, by 5.30 pm we arrive in Puno city where our representative will pick you up to take you to your hotel.
- Meal: Breakfast – Lunch
- Accommodations: Casa Andina Classic Puno 3*
- Accommodations: Casa Andina Private Collection 4*
DAY 6: PUNO – UROS ISLANDS – AMANTANI ISLAND
After having breakfast in your hotel, the tour leader will pick you up to take you to the port of Puno. There you will embark on a 30-minute boat ride until arriving at the floating islands. You will be welcomed by the locals, who will show you the island and the products they weave. Then we will have a 3-hour boat ride to get to the Amantani Island. At 2:30 pm, we arrive at our destination where our guide will introduce us to the local families who are going to share their homes with us. After lunch, we will hike for one hour up to the mountain called Pachataita (Mother Father) which is located at 4400m above sea level. There, you will enjoy an amazing view of the sunset over the lake and a chance to relax and enjoy the fresh air. Afterwards we will come back to your local home for dinner and then you will have the opportunity to dress in traditional clothes provided by the locals and go to the local school where a party with them will take place.
- Meals: Breakfast – Lunch – Dinner
- Accommodation: Basic Home Stay
DAY 7: AMANTANI ISLAND – TAQUILE ISLAND – PUNO
You will have an early breakfast with your local family and then take a two-hour boat ride to arrive at Taquile Island. The inhabitants still live according to their ancestral traditions and dress with gorgeous colored traditional ropes. They are also famous for the magnificent weavings that the men do not the women. You will have some time to learn about ancestral farming techniques and try to use a few Inca tools. We will have lunch in a typical restaurant and take the boat back to Puno and your hotel for the end of the Tour.
- Meals: Breakfast – Lunch
- Accommodations: Casa Andina Puno 3*
- Accommodations: Casa Andina Private Collection 4*
Day 8: DEPARTURE FROM PUNO
After having breakfast at the hotel, enjoy your remaining time in Puno City, then in the late morning or afternoon we will drop off at the airport in Juliaca to take your plane back to Lima or bus station in Puno.
- Meal: Breakfast
***Option to do a one day tour of Lake Titicaca instead of 2 days)
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to your hotel
- Pick up at your hotel for the tours and for the trek departure
- Private transportation
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- English speaking professional guide experienced in mountains
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary (optional vegetarian food with prior request)
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen tank
- Expedition train from Ollantaytambo to KM104.
- Vistadome Train from Aguas Calientes to Poroy station (Cusco) (During the rainy season from January through April the train only runs to Ollantaytambo)
- Admission Ticket to the Inca trail and Machu Picchu Archaeological Complex
- Private guided tour and entrances to the archeological sites
- Roundtrip bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu and back.
- Visit to the ruins along the way to Puno.
- Tourist bus to Puno with English-speaking tour guide.
- Pick up in Puno bus station and transfer to your hotel.
- Pick up from your hotel and transfer to the port of Puno.
- Tourist boat with English-speaking tour guide.
- Visit of the islands on lake Titicaca as indicated in the itinerary
- Dress up with traditional clothes and party with the locals
- All entrance fees
- Home stay with family
- Taxes (18%)
- Transfer to Airport in Juliaca
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Huayna Picchu Mountain – US$75
- Machu Picchu Mountain – US$70
- Energy snacks – chocolate bars, dried fruits (recommended)
- OPTIONAL UPGRADES for hotels to 4* or more!
- Tips for the crew, guide, cook and porters of SAM TRAVEL PERU
This unique package can leave on any date, as long as we have a minimum of 2 participants.
Best price without hotels: US$897 per person.
Best price with 3* Hotels: US$1,197 per person.
Best price with 4* Hotels: US$1,497 per person
***Deposit for 3* hotels is $316 per person and for 4* or 5* hotels $525 per person
***A completely private tour is $100 extra per person except for Lake Titicaca Tour where it is not possible.
***Single supplement for 3* hotels: US$300
***Single supplement for 4* hotels: US$600
- 18 to 25 years old: US$30 Information required on student card: name of university, student name, photo of student, expiration date etc. A copy of the card at booking is required & government approval for discount.
- Under 18 years old: US$30 Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Under 11 years old: US$40 Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Machu Picchu Mountain – US$75
- Huayna Picchu Mt – US $70
- Single supplement US$50 per night for 3* (for solo travelers with single room)
- Upgrade to 4 or 5 star hotels.
- Single Supplement – US$50 per night for single travelers 3*
- Single Supplement – US$100 per night for single travelers 4*
WHY CHOOSE SAM TRAVEL
SAM (initials of Saul Alvarez Montalvo) Travel Peru is a family owned travel agency and direct local tour operator based in Cusco with personal experience over many years of trekking. SAM Travel Peru is a 1oo% Cusquenian Company without any shareholders.
My dream as the owner was to create small personalized tours & treks strictly and only operated by local professional staff catering in PERSONALIZED and HIGH QUALITY SERVICE.
We take pride in having a reputation as being a RESPONSIBLE & SUSTAINABLE tour operator. My staff are my extended family. I ensure they are supported financially by paying them a good wage. I am proud of my team without them I couldn’t give the best service and lifetime experiences to our clients.
In an effort to provide a more personalized service to our passengers, we in SAM Travel Peru have a policy that our groups will not exceed 8 people. This fact alone sets us apart from other companies that operate departures with bigger groups.
OUR TOP TOUR GUIDES
I am very proud of my guides! Highly professional, speaking in fluent English and very knowledgeable. Passionate for the Inca heritage/ history, dedicated to a steady personal development and learning to ensure that you receive accurate and recognized theories about the Inca Andean culture. Fun loving, great sportsmen and well educated some having a degree in Archaeology, Botany, History or Anthropology. Others are great entertainers and the best “Salsa Dancers” on this side of Machu Picchu.
“Please read carefully the following information; it will help you answer all of your questions about our services and the “Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu & Lake Titicaca Tour Package”
WELCOME TO CUSCO
You will be welcomed at Cusco airport and taken to your hotel, please ensure that you inform us of your full flight details at least 14 days prior to your trek. Look out for our representative holding an orange board SAM Travel Peru at the arrival terminal. You must exit the terminal in order to find our representative (they cannot enter inside) It can be done on any date that is best suited to you!
It will take place the night before the trekking departure at 6pm in our office which is located at Calle Santa Teresa Nº383 ; 303 (second floor), we are next to SUBWAY restaurant.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE?
Of course! During your tour or trek your main luggage can be store at our office or at your hotel, both are for free. Please don´t pack anything you will need for your hike.
HOW TO BOOK!
Please be ready with the following information (FROM EACH PARTICIPANT in your group). We cannot purchase an Inca Trail permit without the following information:
- Personal information (your full name, exactly as on your passport):
- Passport number
- D.OB. (dd / mm / yyyy)
SECOND, we require a deposit of US$200.00 per person in order to purchase a permit for the Classic Inca Trail Machu Picchu. You can make you deposit by clicking on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on the top of our home page, or you can click on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on our booking page or click here on the payment of your choice, either VISA or PAYPAL.
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
It would be greatly appreciated if you pay in cash at our office (US dollars or Peruvian soles) here in Cusco. We have many cash machines in the historical center to withdraw money. You can also pay by VISA or PAYPAL online but you will have to pay a 5.5% service charge, charged by VISA and PAYPAL. To pay your balance through PAYPAL, you need to log into your PAYPAL account using our email address of email@example.com.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
- According to Peruvian Law you must be under 18 years of age at the time of your trek, tour, or visit to Machu Picchu (students 18 & above need student cards). For example if you book a trek at the age of 17 but you turn 18 before you do your trek, you do not qualify for a student discount.
- All students from 11 to 17 years, the discount is $30.
- For children from the age of 2 to 11 the discount is $40.
- For children from the age of 0 to 2 are free.
- All students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of their booking to get the student discount.
- Send us a copy at firstname.lastname@example.org
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT?
Unfortunately the answer is “No”. Once the tickets have been bought the government does not allow any changes, so we can’t change any departure date after the ticket has been bought. Tickets are also not transferable nor refundable.
*** If you cancel your “Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu & Lake Titicaca Tour Package”, the deposit is not refundable at all!
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT?
Yes for sure! You have to bring your original passport and it is very important that it is the same passport number you sent to us to book your package for classic Inca Trail Machu Picchu permit, entrances & other reservations. The rangers will check every day and when you enter Machu Picchu. The train company will also check your passport before allowing you to board the train. In case you are renewing your passport, go ahead and send us your old number to secure your permit, and we can change it when you get your new passport number…if so, please send the new passport number as soon as possible.
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE?
First I would say that the weather is very unpredictable and it’s difficult to foresee. BUT you will have many different varieties of weather as you pass through the numerous microclimates and will depend on the location. We highly recommend you to bring some warm clothes and good rain gear in your day backpack. It is helpful to dress in layers.
HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE THERE PER GROUP?
The maximum group size is 8 persons. Usually our groups are between 2-6 persons. Sam Travel Peru specializes in SMALL and PRIVATE groups and provides personalized service
ARE WE DROPPED AT OUR HOTEL?
Absolutely! Included in our packages is dropping you off at your hotel on the return from your trek or tour. If you have booked your hotel in the Sacred Valley like Ollantaytambo or Urubamba, we will drop you there too!
If you spend the night at Ollantaytambo before the trek, we wil pick you up there.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it’s of great significance for the people who will take care of you during the trek. It inspires excellent service and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many SAM Travel Peru destinations. Of course you are free to tip more or less as you feel, depending on your perception of the quality and the length of your trip. Remember, a tip is not compulsory and should only be given when you receive excellent service.
ARE YOU SUSTAINABLE?
Yes,we are a local sustainable & responsible tourism operator in that we incorporate the universal principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the local communities respecting their culture and religion. With this in mind, we have trained all our staff to know, understand and respect the local places and it´s people.
Packing check list
PACKING LIST FOR THE “SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU & LAKE TITICACA TOUR PACKAGE”
The Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu section DOES NOT INCLUDE the extra porter, so, you will need to carry all your thing, please try to pack as light as possible which is the key to enjoy this amazing trek. If you wish to have a porter to carry your belongings, it is $60 extra for this add on service (10 kilos or 22 lbs maxium).
- Original Passport (it has to be the same you have used for booking your trek)
- Valid, GREEN ISIC card (if you booked as a student)
- Good daypack (the smaller, the better)
- Water storage: 2-3 litre Camelbaks are encouraged.
- Comfortable hiking boots with ankle support
- Toilet Paper
- 2 t-shirts
- 1 hiking pants at least
- 2 sets of undergarments
- 2 sets of hiking socks
- Couple Fleece/ Thermals
- Warm clothes, down jacket
- Waterproof gloves (even if they are ski gloves, take them)
- Small bottle of soap: we provide warm water each day to wash.
- Battery Charger: No electricity along the trek
- Large plastic bags will be provided at the office — Please ask for them.
- Face moisturizer
- Hand Sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Toothbrush and paste
- Personal medications
- First aid kit: band aids, moleskin, etc.
- Sun Hat
- Wool Hat
- Rain gear
- Snacks like chocolate bars, cereal bars or any dry fruits
- Coca leaves.
- Rain plastic poncho (provided by SAM)
- Extra Money for Souvenirs, Drinks & Tips