Hike the 1 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu through the Sun Gate & explore Machu Picchu right away!
- At 4:00 am your guide with our van will pick you up at your hotel in Cusco (4 am) or Ollantaytambo (5:30 am) if you wish to start from there.
- You will travel through Sacred Valley to Ollantaytambo Train Station. (Train leaves at 6:10 am)
- The Expedition train ride consists of spectacular views in the Sacred Valley of the Incas. It takes a little over an hour to get to KM 104.
- At 7:30 – 8:00 am, you and your guide will start hiking through the original Inca till the Sun gate, from where you will have the first amazing view of Machu Picchu. The exact time depends on the group.
- You will explore amazing Inca cities along the Inca Trail, especially the Wiñay Wayna Inca ruins.
- You will have lunch after exploring the Wiñay Wayna archaeological site, usually around noon.
- An hour or so after lunch you will arrive at the Sun Gate where you will get your first view of Machu Picchu!
- By 14:00 you will start exploring Machu Picchu Citadel. Your guide will explain all the history of this amazing and mysterious Incan city.
- By late afternoon, enjoy the sunset and take the iconic photo of Machu Picchu when it is empty of tourists.
- At 5:30 take the bus down to Aguas Calientes, with time for a quick dinner in a restaurant, or to buy a take out dinner to eat on the train. (Dinner is not included).
- By 6:20 take the train back to Cusco then we will drive you back to your hotel in Cusco in our private van. (Exact train time depends on availability).
***Please note: It is not possible to climb Wayna Picchu (Also often spelled as Huayna Picchu) or Machu Picchu Mountain due to time restraints.
***It is possible to start the 1 day Inca Trail in Ollantaytambo or Cusco.
***If you choose, you can stay the night in Aguas Calientes, and we will book your return train for the next day.
Day 1: Cusco – Ollantaytambo – KM104 – Wiñay Wayna – Sun Gate – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes – Cusco
Your guide will pick you up at your hotel at 4 am in Cusco for the journey with our private transport to the train station of Ollantaytambo. (If you prefer to begin in Ollentaytambo, we will pick you up at your hotel 5:20 – 5:30). After an hour 10 minute on the Expedition train trip, we arrive at Kilometer 104 (2,100m/6,927ft) of the Cusco-Machu Picchu road, where we begin your trek and pass by the first checkpoint. Afterward, we begin a moderate climb for three hours to the magnificent archaeological site of Wiñay Wayna (2,650m/8,747ft). Once we arrive, you will enjoy the spectacular views of the Urubamba canyon, stunning Inca sites and the connection with the traditional four days Inca Trail. After your tour of these important Incan ruins, we go to the Wiñay Wayna campground for lunch. You will have a covered place to eat that is close to toilets and sinks for handwashing.
After, we have had time to enjoy Wiñay Wayna, we continue our hike towards the Sun Gate (2,730m/9,007ft). From there, you will have the first spectacular view of Machu Picchu in all its brilliance and majestic monumentality. After enjoying the view, we walk downhill for about one hour to the citadel of Machu Picchu. Once there we will visit one of the most important mystic centers of the world: Machu Picchu. A 2 hour guided tour takes you into the fascinating history of these mysterious ruins. On your private tour, your guide will expertly direct you through the enigmatic ruins and its most important sites. You will see the Temple of the Sun, Temple of the Condor, Temple of Three Windows, Sun Dial, Quarry, the House of the Inka, the urban areas, agricultural terraces and many different types of architecture.
After that, you will have plenty of time for taking photos before we head down to Aguas Calientes for dinner. In the evening (6:20 pm), you will take the return Expedition train to Ollantaytambo and catch our private van to Cusco and your hotel. You will arrive at around 10:30 pm.
Meals: Box lunch
Difficulty: Moderate to difficult
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Transfer from the airport to your hotel
- Pick up at your hotel by your guide
- Private transport from your hotel to the train station
- Bus ticket from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
- English speaking professional guide experienced in trekking
- Expedition Tourist Train from Ollantaytambo at 104 kilometers and from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo with private van connection to Cusco
- Admission Ticket to the Inca trail and Machu Picchu Archaeological site
- 1 Box lunch
- Private guided tour of Machu Picchu
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen tank
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- It is not possible to do the Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain climb due to time restraints
- Energy snacks will be very useful as chocolate bars, dried fruits
- Dinner at Aguas Calientes
- Tips for the staff (Sam Travel Peru staff receives a fair and decent payment immediately after they end their trip; tips are optional but greatly appreciated by them)
- Upgrade to Vistadome Train:$57 USD per person – (Return Only)
ADDED VALUES for FREE:
- TRANSFER IN: from the airport to hotel included (Airport to hotel in Cusco only)
Price & Availability
The 1 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu is available on any date that suits you – We just require a minimum of 2 persons to book.
$397 USD per person
PRIVATE SERVICE PRICES:
$437 USD per person – 2 to 3 persons
$417 USD per person – 4 or more persons
PRIVATE PRICE 1 person only:
$547 USD per person – 1 persons only private trek
We require a minimum of 2 hikers in order to start the trek. For solo travellers- please inquire on the dates you are looking to trek.
- 18 to 25 years old:$30 USD. Information required on student card: name of university, student name, photo of student, expiration date etc. A copy of the card at booking is required & government approval for discount.
- Under 18 years old:$30 USD. Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Under 11 years old:$40 USD. Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Upgrade to Vistadome:$57 USD per person (Return Only)
- Stay the night in Aguas Calientes 2*3*or 4* hotel. (We will arrange your return train back to Cusco for the next day)
**** The short Inca trail to Machu Picchu is almost always available year round except when it is closed in February for maintenance — This trek takes you into Machu Picchu by walking through the SUN GATE like in the ancient times, you will explore some amazing Inca ruins along the way like Wiñay Wayna Inca City.
CHECK YOUR SHORT INCA TRAIL TREK AVAILABILITY BY CLICKING ON MONTH OF YOUR CHOICE!
WHY CHOOSE SAM TRAVEL
SAM Travel Peru is a family owned travel agency and a local tour operator based in Cusco with personal experience over many years of trekking. SAM Travel Peru is a 1oo% Cusqueñian Company without any shareholders.
Our dream as a locally based company is to create small personalized tours & treks strictly and only operated by local professional staff catering in PERSONALIZED and HIGH QUALITY SERVICE.
We take pride in having a reputation as being a RESPONSIBLE & SUSTAINABLE tour operator. Our staff are our extended family. We ensure they are supported financially by offering them a fair salary. We are proud of our team! Without them, we wouldn’t be able to offer the best service and lifetime experiences to our clients.
SAM Travel Peru knows how important it is to trust in a reliable honest operator to create your adventure of a lifetime while in Peru. Check out our reviews and certificates of excellence on, TRIPADVISOR for yourself! Also we are highly recommended on Conde Nast Travelers, Lonely Planet and by many blogs like: Salkantay/Inka Trail ! July 14th to 20th 2016 Trek de Lares 4 hours, “It’s the journey, not the destination…”, Lares Pass – Day 3, Trekking in the Sacred Valley.
In an effort to provide a more personalized service to our passengers, we in SAM Travel Peru have a policy that our groups will not exceed 8 people. This fact alone sets us apart from other companies that operate departures with bigger groups.
OUR TOUR GUIDES
We are so proud of our guides! They are highly professional and fluent in English. They are very knowledgeable and passionate for Incan heritage and history. Our guides are dedicated to continuous personal and professional development. They research to ensure that you receive accurate and recognized theories in Incan and Andean culture. They are fun loving, great sportsmen and well-educated! Our guides all hold degrees in one of the following: Archaeology, Tourism, Botany, History or Anthropology.
OUR SERVICE PROJECTS
SAM Travel Peru have always believed that we should “give back” to the local isolated communities. Therefore, as part of our commitment to responsible tourism, we always do many service projects and hire locally.
SAM Travel Peru is so proud to be able to support our local people, not only employing them but going back to our grassroots as they share with their families. It makes us happy to have this holistic approach with our highland employees and their families!
“Please read carefully the following information; it will help you answer all of your questions about our services and the trek to Machu Picchu”
ARRIVAL TO CUSCO
You will be welcomed at Cusco airport and taken to your hotel. Please ensure that you inform us of your full flight details at least 14 days prior to your trek. Look out for our representative holding an orange board SAM Travel Peru at the arrival terminal. Please note that you will have to exit the airport first, drivers are not allowed to enter the airport. This can be done on any date that works best for you!
Your briefing will take place the night before your trek. It will be held at our office at 6 or 6:30pm, depending on your confirmation email details. The office is located at Calle Santa Teresa Nº383 ; office 107 (second floor). We are next to Subway sandwich shop and share a lobby with Hotel Casona Corrales.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE?
Of course! During the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, your main luggage can be stored at our office or at your hotel, both are for free. Only pack items you will need for your trek.
HOW TO BOOK
Please be ready with the following information (FROM EACH PARTICIPANT in your group). We cannot purchase an Inca Trail permit without the following information:
- Personal information (your full name, exactly as on your passport):
- Passport number
- D.OB. (dd / mm / yyyy)
SECOND, we require a deposit of $211.00 USD per person in order to purchase a permit for the 1 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu. You can make your deposit by clicking on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on the top of our home page, or you can click on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on our booking page.
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
It would be greatly appreciated if you pay in cash at our office (US dollars or Peruvian soles) here in Cusco. We have many ATMS within the historical center to withdraw money. You can also pay by VISA or PAYPAL online but you will have to pay a 5.5% service charge, charged by VISA and PAYPAL. To pay your balance through PAYPAL, you need to log into your PAYPAL account using our email address of email@example.com.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
- According to Peruvian law, you must be under 18 years of age at the time of your trek, tour, or visit to Machu Picchu (students 18 & above need student cards). For example: if you book a trek at the age of 17 but you turn 18 before you do your trek, you do not qualify for a student discount.
- All students from 11 to 17 years, the discount is $30 USD.
- For children from the age of 2 to 11, the discount is $40 USD.
- For children from the age of 0 to 2, are free.
- All students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of their booking to get the student discount.
- Send us a copy at firstname.lastname@example.org
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT?
Unfortunately, the answer is No. Once the tickets have been bought the government does not allow any changes, so we can’t change any departure date after the ticket has been bought. Tickets are also not transferable nor refundable. If you cancel your Inca Trail Trek, the deposit is not refundable at all!
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON THE 1 DAY INCA TRAIL?
OF COURSE! You have to bring your original passport and it is very important that it is the same passport number you sent to us to book your 1 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu permit. In case you are renewing your passport, go ahead and send us your old number to secure your permit, and we can change it when you get your new passport number. Please send us the new passport number as soon as possible.
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE?
The weather is very unpredictable and it’s difficult to foresee. We recommend to always dress in layers as that makes it easier to adjust to quickly changing weather.
IS THE TREK DIFFICULT, DO I NEED TO BE FIT?
The 1 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu is a 12km (7.5 miles) hike through the Andes in the Cusco region. The maximum altitude reached is 2700mt.
In preparation: try walking 15kms/9 miles in a day or working out in the months leading up to the trek. It is also important to be well acclimatized to the altitude. Try to spend at least 2 or 3 days in Cusco (3350m/11,047ft) prior to starting the trek.
ARE WE DROPPED AT OUR HOTEL AFTER THE 1 DAY INCA TRAIL?
Absolutely!! Hotel pick-ups and drop-offs are included with all of our packages! If you have booked your hotel in the Sacred Valley, we will drop you off there and vice versa.
In general, if you exercise regularly and spend a couple of days in Cusco or the Sacred Valley, you will be able to acclimate normally. It usually takes about 24 hours to 2 days.
The recommended remedies for altitude sickness are WATER, COCA TEA and OXYGEN IF NEEDED; our guides are trained to treat you for Altitude Sickness. See our detailed information about Altitude Sickness under FAQS.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip – though not compulsory – is appreciated. While it may not be customary to you, it’s of great significance for the people who will take care of you during the trek. It inspires excellent service and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many SAM Travel Peru destinations. Of course, you are free to tip more or less as you feel, depending on your perception of the quality and the length of your trip. Remember, a tip is not compulsory and should only be given when you receive excellent service.
ARE YOU SUSTAINABLE?
Yes, we are a local, sustainable & responsible tourism operator that incorporates universal principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the local communities by respecting their culture and religion. With this in mind, we have trained all our local staff to know and understand, respect the places and the local people.
PACKING CHECKLIST FOR THE 1 DAY INCA TRAIL
The 1 Inca Trail Machu Picchu DOES NOT INCLUDE the extra porter, so, you will need to carry all your things, please try to pack as light as possible which is the key to enjoy this amazing trek
- Original passport (it has to be the same you have used for booking your trek)
- Good daypack (the smaller, the better)
- Water bottle: 2L
- Comfortable hiking boots with ankle support
- Toilet paper
- Dress in layers
- Hand sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Personal medications
- Sun hat
- Wool hat (only in the cold season)
- Rain gear if rainy season
- Snacks (chocolate bars, cereal bars or any dry fruits)
- Rain plastic poncho (provided by SAM)
- Extra Money for Souvenirs, Drinks & Tips