Hike the 1 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu through the Sun Gate & explore Machu Picchu right away !
- At 4:00 am your guide with our van will pick you up at your hotel in Cusco or 5:30am Ollantaytambo if you wish to start from there.
- You will travel through Sacred Valley to Ollantatambo Train Station. (Train leaves at 6:10 am)
- The Expedition train ride consists of spectacular views in the Sacred Valley of the Incas, a little over an hour to KM 104.
- At 7:20 am, you with your guide will start hiking through the original Inca till the Sun gate, from where you will have the first amazing view of Machu Picchu.
- You will explore amazing Inca cities along the Inca Trail, especially the Wiñayhuayna Inca ruins
- By 14:00; start exploring Machu Picchu Inca city, your guide explain you all the history about this amazing and mysterious Inca city.
- By late afternoon, enjoy sunset and take the great picture when Machu Picchu its empty.
- At 5:30 take the bus down to Aguas calientes
- By 6:20 take the train back to Cusco (depends on availability)
***Please note: It is not possible to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain due to time restraints.
***It is possible to start the 1 day Inca Trail in Ollantaytambo or Cusco.
***If you choose you can stay the night in Aguas Calientes and we will book your return train for the next day.
Day 1: Cusco – Ollantaytambo – Km104 – Wiñaywayna – Sun Gate – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes – Cusco
Your guide will pick you up at your hotel at 4 am in Cusco for the journey with our private transport to the train station of Ollantaytambo or 5:30am in Ollantaytambo if you wish to start from there. After an hour 10 minute on the Expedition train trip, we arrive at 104 kilometer (2,100m/6,927ft) of the Cusco-Machu Picchu road where we begin your trek and pass by the first check point. Afterwards, we begin a moderate climb for three hours to the magnificent archaeological site of Wiñayhuana (2,650m/8747ft). Once we arrive you may enjoy the spectacular views of the Urubamba canyon, stunning Inca sites and the connection with the traditional four day Inca Trail.
After we have had time to enjoy this beautiful sight, we continue our hike towards the Sun Gate (2,730mts/9,007ft). From there you will have the first spectacular view of Machu Picchu in all its brilliance and majestic monumentality. After enjoying the view, we walk downhill for about one hour to the citadel of Machu Picchu. Once there we will visit one of the most important mystic centers of the world: Machu Picchu. A 2 hour guided tour takes you into the fascinating history of these mysterious ruins.
After that you will have plenty of time for further exploration of Machu Picchu and taking photos before we head down to Aguas Calientes for dinner. In the evening (6:20pm) you will take the return Expedition train to Ollantaytambo and catch our private van to Cusco and your hotel. You will arrive around 10:30 pm.
Meals: Box Lunch
Difficulty: Moderate to Difficult.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Transfer from the airport to your hotel.
- Pick up at your hotel by your guide.
- Private transport from your hotel to the train station
- Bus ticket from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
- English speaking professional guide experienced in trekking and degree in archaeology.
- Expedition Tourist Train from Ollanataytambo at 104 kilometer and from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo with private van connection to Cusco.
- Admission Ticket to the Inca trail and Machu Picchu Archaeological site.
- 1 Box lunch
- Private guided tour of Machu picchu
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen tank
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- It is not possible to do the Huaynapicchu or Machu Picchu Mountain climb due to time restraints.
- Energy snacks will be very useful as chocolate bars, dried fruits
- Dinner at Aguas Calientes
- Tips for the staff (Samtravelperu staff receives a fair and decent payment immediately after they end their trip; tips are optional but of great appreciation for them)
- Upgrade to Vistadome Train – US$57 per person – Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo 6:10pm train.
ADDED VALUES for FREE:
- TRANSFER: from the airport to hotel included (Airport to Hotel in Cusco only).
Price & Availability
The 1 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu is available on any date that suits you – We just require a minimum of 2 persons to book.
US$397 per person – 2 to 3 persons
US$377 per person – 4 or more persons
PRIVATE GROUP PRICES:
US$427 per person – 2 to 3 persons
US$407 per person – 4 or more persons
We require a minimum of 2 hikers
***If one person only please contact us for a special price
- 18 to 25 years old: US$30 Information required on student card: name of university, student name, photo of student, expiration date etc. A copy of the card at booking is required & government approval for discount.
- Under 18 years old: US$30 Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Under 11 years old: US$40 Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Upgrade to Vistadome: $57 per person from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo at 6:10pm.
- Stay the night in Aguas Calientes 2*3*or 4* hotel. (we will delay your return train back to Cusco for the next day)
**** The short Inca trail to Machu Picchu is almost always available year round except it is closed in February for maintenance — This trek takes you into Machu Picchu by walking through the SUN GATE like in the ancient times, you will explore some amazing Inca ruins along the way like Wiñaywayna Inca City.
CHECK YOUR SHORT INCA TRAIL TREK AVAILABILITY BY CLICKING ON MONTH OF YOUR CHOICE!
WHY CHOOSE SAM TRAVEL
SAM Travel Peru is your best choice if you truly want to enjoy your trek in Peru, especially in the Cusco Region. We are specialists in creating unique trekking routes, with our customized treks to Machu Picchu which other tour operators are not offering. We have numerous Classic Inca Trail options of 1 to 7 days and other Alternative treks to Machu Picchu! What that means for our clients is lots of unique options to choose from, more enjoyable and exciting treks, personalized service, and small groups averaging 4 to 6 trekkers and with a maximum of 8 trekkers.
Our high quality service is not about quantity, nor is it about cheap prices and large groups…. We have a fair-price while providing the best possible service and personalized attention in small groups, and providing the best trekking experience through our unique trekking paths. All you have to do is to immerse yourself in the stunning landscape around you and simply feel the magic of Mother Nature (Pachamama) and the Andes. We carry your gear, prepare your meals, set up your tents, avoid crowded campsites, and take care of all your requirements and details so you can relax and enjoy your trek or tour.
All Treks are only operated by SAM Travel Peru: The Company is owned and operated by Saul Alvarez Montalvo a native of Cusco, Peru and experienced guide himself. He is passionate about providing people the best quality service possible. What that means for you is that all our treks and tours are strictly and only operated by SAM TRAVEL PERU with our professional staff. SAM Travel Peru will never pass you onto another company; we will work with you until we get it right…. All the departures are 100% guaranteed – If you are booked and have made your deposit. ! You are going!
SAM Travel Peru also knows how important it is to trust in a reliable honest operator to create your adventure of a lifetime while in Peru. Check out our reviews and certificates of excellence on, TRIPADVISOR for yourself! Also we are highly recommended on Conde Nast Travelers, Lonely Planet and by many blogs like: Salkantay/Inka Trail ! July 14th to 20th 2016 Trek de Lares 4 hours, “It’s the journey, not the destination…”, Lares Pass – Day 3, Trekking in the Sacred Valley, Alli and Ellie hike to Machu Picchu
In an effort to provide a more personalised service to our passengers, we in SAM Travel Peru have a policy that our groups will not exceed 8 people. This fact alone sets us apart from other companies that operate departures with bigger groups.
OUR TOP TOUR GUIDES
I am very proud of my guides! Highly professional, speaking in fluent English and very knowledgeable. Passionate for the Inca heritage/ history, dedicated to a steady personal development and learning to ensure that you receive accurate and recognised theories about the Inca Andean culture. Fun loving, great sportsmen and well educated some having a degree in Archaeology, Botany, History or Anthropology. Others are great entertainers and the best “Salsa Dancers” on this side of Machu Picchu.
OUR SOCIAL PROJECTS
SAM Travel Peru has always believed that we should “give back” to the communities we pass through on our treks. Therefore, as part of our commitment in responsible tourism, we socially support and employee from these communities.
SAM Travel Peru is proud to be able to support these beautiful people, not only in hiring them for work but to bring things back to grassroots, to share in their home and families. This makes us happy to have a holistic approach with our highland employees and their families!
A beautiful reflection of our attitude in everything we do, is that we wish to make life richer and more meaningful for all involved.
“Please read carefully the following information; it will help you answer all of your questions about our services and the trek to Machu Picchu”
WELCOME TO CUSCO
You will be welcomed at Cusco airport and taken to your hotel, please ensure that you inform us of your full flight details at least 14 days prior to your trek. Look out for our representative holding an orange board SAM Travel Peru at the arrival terminal. It can be done on any date that is best suited to you!
It will take place the night before the trekking departure at 6pm in our office which is located at Calle Santa Teresa Nº383 ; 303 (second floor), we are next to SUBWAY restaurant.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE:
Of course! During the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu your main luggage can be store at our office or at your hotel, both are for free. Please don´t pack anything you will need for your hike.
HOW TO BOOK:
Please be ready with the following information (FROM EACH PARTICIPANT in your group). We cannot purchase an Inca Trail permit without the following information:
- Personal information (your full name, exactly as on your passport):
- Passport number
- D.OB. (dd / mm / yyyy)
SECOND, we require a deposit of US$200.00 per person in order to purchase a permit for the 1 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu. You can make you deposit by clicking on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on the top of our home page, or you can click on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on our booking page or click here on the payment method of your choice, either VISA or PAYPAL.
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
It would be greatly appreciated if you pay in cash at our office (US dollars or Peruvian soles) here in Cusco. We have many cash machines in the historical center to withdraw money. You can also pay by VISA or PAYPAL online but you will have to pay a 5.5% service charge, charged by VISA and PAYPAL. To pay your balance through PAYPAL, you need to log into your PAYPAL account using our email address of firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
- According to Peruvian Law you must be under 18 years of age at the time of your trek, tour, or visit to Machu Picchu (students 18 & above need student cards). For example if you book a trek at the age of 17 but you turn 18 before you do your trek, you do not qualify for a student discount.
- All students from 11 to 17 years, the discount is $30.
- For children from the age of 2 to 11 the discount is $40.
- For children from the age of 0 to 2 are free.
- All students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of their booking to get the student discount.
- Send us a copy at email@example.com
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT?
Unfortunately the answer is “No”. Once the tickets have been bought the government does not allow any changes, so we can’t change any departure date after the ticket has been bought. Tickets are also not transferrable nor refundable.
*** If you cancel your Inca Trail Trek, the deposit is not refundable at all!
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON THE 1 DAY INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU?
OF COURSE! You have to bring your original passport and it is very important that it is the same passport number you sent to us to book your 1 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu permit. The rangers will check every day and when you enter Machu Picchu. The train company will also check your passport before allowing you to board the train. In case you are renewing your passport, go ahead and send us your old number to secure your permit, and we can change it when you get your new passport number…if so, please send the new passport number as soon as possible.
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE IN THE 1 DAY INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU?
First I would say that the weather is very unpredictable and it’s difficult to foresee. BUT you will have many different varieties of weather as you pass through the numerous microclimates and will depend on the location. We highly recommend you to bring some warm clothes and good rain gear in your day backpack.
IS THE TREK DIFFICULT, DO I NEED TO BE FIT?
The 1 day Inca Trail Machu Picchu is a 12km (7.5 mile) hike through the Andes in the Cusco region. The maximum altitude reached is 2700mt.
In preparation: try walking 15kms in a day or go to the fitness club in the months leading up to the trek. It is also important to be well acclimatised to the altitude. Try to spend at least 2 or 3 days in Cusco (3350m/11,047ft) prior to starting the trek.
ARE WE DROPPED AT OUR HOTEL AFTER THE 1 DAY INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU?
Absolutely! Included in our packages is dropping you off at your hotel on the return from your trek or tour. If you have booked your hotel in the Sacred Valley like Ollantaytambo or Urubamba, we will drop you there too!
If you spend the night at Ollantaytambo before the trek, we wil pick you up there.
In general if you have regular exercise and spend a couple of days in Cusco, or in the Sacred Valley for acclimatisation to the altitude, you may be fine.
The recommended medicine for altitude sickness is WATER, COCA TEA and OXYGEN IF NEEDED; our guides are trained to treat you for Altitude Sickness. See our detailed information about Altitude Sickness under FAQS.
We offer the Cusco City Tour or Sacred Valley Tour that you can book while you are acclimatizing. Check out our Day Tours on our Home Page.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it’s of great significance for the people who will take care of you during the trek. It inspires excellent service and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many SAM Travel Peru destinations. Of course you are free to tip more or less as you feel, depending on your perception of the quality and the length of your trip. Remember, a tip is not compulsory and should only be given when you receive excellent service.
ARE YOU SUSTAINABLE?
Yes, we are a local sustainable & responsible tourism operator for that we incorporate the universal principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the local communities respecting their culture and religion. With this in mind, we have trained all our staff to know, understand and respect the local places and it´s people.
PACKING CHECK LIST FOR THE 1 DAY INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU
The 1 Inca Trail Machu Picchu DOES NOT INCLUDE the extra porter, so, you will need to carry all your things, please try to pack as light as possible which is the key to enjoy this amazing trek
- Original Passport (it has to be the same you have used for booking your trek)
- Good daypack (the smaller, the better)
- Water bottle: 2 liters
- Comfortable hiking boots with ankle support
- Toilet Paper
- Dress in layers
- Hand Sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Personal medications
- Sun Hat
- Wool Hat only in the cold season
- Rain gear if rainy season
- Snacks like chocolate bars, cereal bars or any dry fruits
- Rain plastic poncho (provided by SAM)
- Extra Money for Souvenirs, Drinks & Tips